Saturday, February 07, 2015

Scouts

Black and white small square photo,
dated at the bottom border : Jul   62,
you look to be about eight or nine,
your scout uniform is flawless,
shorts perfectly pressed,
cap in just the right position,
knee socks pulled up tight - just below the knee,
converse,
neck kerchief lies symmetrically
yet naturally.

One arm is at your side
the other hand makes the scout sign,
elbow bent at a right angle,
three fingers pointed towards the sky.

You stand on a sidewalk,
alongside a parked Ford,
you look genuinely happy - proud even,
there are nicely manicured lawns in the background,
behind you,
side by side.

They look nice enough to roll on,
that's what I want to do,
take my shoes off and feel my toes in that perfectly mowed lawn,
to lie in it,
stretch out my arms and legs,
make a grass angel.

I also wonder if your face
has ever looked as innocent, bold, joyous
and full of possibility,
since July of 1962



No comments: